Honey for Healing
Honey has been known for its healing properties and has been used across the world in healing wounds, cuts, sores, ulcers, infections and other more severe ailments. Honey for healing has been used for centuries to heal not just simple cuts and burns, but also some serious conditions. Some of the common uses of honey for healing purposes include:
- The topical application of honey can work as an antibiotic, on cuts, bruises, burns, scrapes, minor wounds, cutting down the healing time that is required. Honey also has the ability to kill the bacteria that lead to infections. This is because the natural sugar that is present in honey keeps it moisture free. This allows the honey to soak up all the fluid present at an infected site, thereby reducing the moisture in that area. Without the presence of moisture, the bacteria that cause infections cannot flourish and so they die.
- A substance that is commonly used in healing wounds, cuts and bruises, known as hydrogen peroxide is produced naturally by honey. Therefore, honey can also be used to heal and reduce the pain caused by an abscess.
- A paste made using honey and cinnamon powder, if consumed daily, can help reduce cholesterol in the arteries, thereby reducing the risks of heart attacks and other heart related diseases. It also strengthens the heartbeat and alleviates the problems of breathlessness. Honey can revitalize the veins and arteries.
- If two teaspoons of honey, mixed with a cup of warm water and some cinnamon powder is consumed twice a day, every day, it can help cure chronic arthritis.
- Honey can be beneficial in preventing seasonal allergies, if consumed regularly.
- Honey is one of the most effective remedies in curing a sore throat. Mix a teaspoon of honey with a bit of lemon juice and swallow the mixture without any water. Repeat the exercise a couple of times, after a few hours, for the symptoms to clear up. You could even add a pinch of red or black pepper to the honey, which will increase the circulation of blood to the throat.
- Honey, mixed with ginger tea or warm water and lemon can help cure the symptoms of a common cold and the flu.
- Honey, mixed with cinnamon can help cure any stomach problems that have been caused by ulcers, clearing the problem from the root. If honey is mixed with hot water and lemon juice, it can help weight loss and can cure digestive problems.