Honey for Cold
Honey has several health benefits, especially when it comes to healing cuts, wounds, scrapes, and infections. It can also help in reducing the duration of a cold and the flu. The symptoms of a common cold usually include a runny nose, sneezing, coughing, fever, and muscle pain. Honey not only reduces some of the symptoms, but effectively treats colds and the flu too. Honey and cold home remedies are closely linked as people have been using honey for colds and other respiratory infections for centuries. This is because honey contains substances that destroy viruses and bacteria that cause chronic colds. Consuming about two ounces of honey a day can help reduce the length of a common cold, by up to two days, as it contains compounds like flavonoids and phenolic acids. Honey can be mixed with other ingredients too, to make some very effective remedies that soothe the symptoms associated with a cold.
- A honey-cinnamon tonic is a very effective remedy that makes use of honey for colds and wheezing. Get relief from even a severe cold, by consuming a tonic made out of one tablespoon of warmed honey and quarter teaspoon of cinnamon powder, for three days continuously.
- Another remedy using honey for colds and congestion is a honey and salt water gargle. A simple gargle made using honey can help to soothe a sore throat. Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with a pinch of salt and 4 tablespoons of cider vinegar. Gargle with this mixture once a day for quick and lasting relief.
- To get relief from a congestion caused by a cold, drink a concoction made from 1 tablespoon of honey, two drops of eucalyptus oil, 2 ounces of lemon juice and 8 ounces of water. Warm this mixture before drinking it, to loosen the phlegm and ease the sinus.
- In case you are suffering from a cough, in addition to a cold, you can control the cough by drinking a mixture made from a cup of honey and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, to which half a cup of warm water has slowly been stirred in. This mixture can be stored in the refrigerator and 1 or 2 tablespoons should be taken, as and when required.
- Eat raw garlic with a dab of honey to boost your immune system. This garlic honey for cold remedy helps you fight the virus and the bacteria that cause colds.
- At the first sign of a cold, prepare a tea with 1 inch of grated ginger, 2 cups of water, a piece of mashed garlic and half a lemon with a peel. Boil all the ingredients together, on a low flame for about 20 minutes and strain the mixture. Add a lot of honey to this, to open up the nasal cavities and loosen the phlegm in the chest.